Friday, July 15, 2005

 

Ides Of July...

Well, it's the Ides of July today. I have a soft spot in my heart for the Ides of March, mainly because I contend that it is actually the 16th (my birthday) not the 15th like history records. Anyways, I wonder why the "Ides" of other months aren't remembered with as much fondness as March has been, in commemorating the slaying of Julius Caesar?

Today in history - the Ides of July:
-- Rembrandt was born in 1606.
-- Carl Fisher, the founder of the Indy 500, died in 1939.
-- Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, the Marilyn Monroe comedy, opened in 1953.
That's about it. Hmmm, I guess I now know why the Ides of July isn't universally celebrated. Maybe (like March), the 16th of this month will bring a more memorable "ides". Maybe I'll have to stab a Caesar salad with a fork at lunch. "Et tu, crouton?...."


Comments:
Oooo, i hate those croutons, although like Bill Cosby i use their real name, which is pronounced "Krow-tuns"...
vicious, horrible little beasties, they are. R. "Ar matey, little bilge rats they are, Captian, Ar!"
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter