Friday, August 19, 2005

 

Being Served...

I was served the other day. I wasn't served food or a tennis ball, but I was served a writ. Yeah, I know what you're thinking..... what's a writ?

The past few weeks a company named Fraser Delivery had been phoning and leaving messages for me regarding a document that they wanted me to pick up and then deliver to ICBC. It sounded really fishy, especially when I couldn't find Fraser Delivery in the phone book or when I Googled them. I finally talked to them and they said it involved a Surrey car accident that I was involved in 2 years ago. Funny thing though, I wasn't involved in any car accident (at least to the best of my recollection - maybe I hit my head really hard).

Well, they tracked me down and a "process server" (Larry) served me this writ, claiming that I was driving a friend's vehicle (Brian Coxe) and rear-ended a lady who then rear-ended another woman, who was now suing us for various injuries. I didn't recognize anyone in the claim, and of course I said that I wasn't involved. Larry smiled nicely and said to call ICBC and they'll clear it all up.

I called ICBC and talked to "Patty." I told her that I wasn't the "Dairn" named in the writ and challenged her to put me at ease over this whole thing. For starters, I didn't know anyone named Brian Coxe. If I did borrow his vehicle, then I must have stolen it during one of my many Vietnam flashbacks. Also, the counterfeit Dairn Peters had a Langley address. I haven't lived there since I shared a 26 foot motor home with my parents on their property while I was going to university ("Good night dad. Good night mom. Do you mind not driving to another section of the yard until I wake up in the morning? I always bump my head in this little bed over the cab.").

Anyways, to make a long story short, Patty played detective trying to figure things out. Turns out the other guy was actually Dar-in Peters and his driver's license was different than mine (I could've told them that) and it seems like I'm now off the hook.

In the end, maybe it's kind of like double jeopardy? I can now get away with rear-ending someone who rear-ends someone else because I've already been exonerated of the crime (or maybe I'm just watching way too many movies). Just be careful if I'm tailgating you with a big maniacal grin on my face....

Comments:
Personally, i wonder nothing. Makes life simpler that way. Don't you think? I know I don't...

BTW, Dairn, what colour is your front bumper? Just wondering, cuz i have some bright orange paint here, and if it matches, i plan on 1) bashing a large dent in the rear of my car, 2) painting the dent orange to match your car, and 3) calling ICBC and telling them that Dar-in Peters of Langley smashed into me. I think (well, actually, no i don't...) that'll help to ease all of the confusion, don't you?
:-)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter