Saturday, April 15, 2006

 

Good Saturday...

Yesterday was Good Friday, and if I didn't know anything about the actual holiday, I would have thought it was Gory Friday. It started at five in the morning when Kylan woke up in his crib crying in vomit. Sorry, lousy way to start a blog post, eh? It gets worse.

Beth cleaned him up and gave him a bath. I went back to bed, feeling woozy myself. I was to be part of the Good Friday outdoor service for all the Burnaby churches later that morning at the stadium, so I had to drag myself out of bed and into the shower. Meanwhile, Jayce woke up, told mommy that spit wanted to come up from her stomach, and promply threw up on the couch. Yay, good start to Good Friday.

The rest of the family decided against attending the service (no doubt), and I went to perform my duty as one of the people directing traffic. It felt good to be outside in the fresh air, even though my tummy was gurgling something fierce. After being traffic cop for the morning, I went home. As I stepped in the house, I felt nausea hit me like a ton of feathers (bricks, feathers - a ton weighs the same). Turns out Beth wasn't feeling good either. Well, I fell in and out of consciousness throughout the day, throwing up in between. Jayce threw up close to a dozen times, poor kid. Beth bathed the kids about 4 times, did about 10 loads of laundry, threw up a bunch of times herself, and we both had difficulty sleeping for any length of time through the aching and nausea. Kylan was in a great mood.

It made me recall a story. St. Patrick was baptizing an important official in Ireland, and after the ceremony noticed that the man's foot was bleeding. When he realized that he had stabbed his staff into the official's foot during the baptism, he asked the man why he didn't cry out in pain. The man said, "I thought pain was part of the tradition."

And so it is with Good Friday. Even though it was probably the worst day of sickness our family has ever faced together, it can't help but remind me that pain is the very reason for the holiday.

Thank goodness Sunday's a comin'....

Comments:
Was it a bout of food poisoning??
 
the only way this could have been worse is if Beth threw up in the washing machine; thus causing a 13th load.
 
Yeesh.
Stay well, DMP fam!
 
ewww. Yuck... I am glad you are better again...
 
I wonder what it would have looked like to have a bucket with all the vomit from the entire family? I know, disgusting.

I wonder if you were all vomiting out sin in prep for Easter?

ha ha - glad you are all better!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter