Tuesday, February 20, 2007

 

Dramatization...

Have you noticed that television commercials have become a lawyer's playground? For example, I was watching an ad for an SUV. As it drove down a back road in the forest, it magically sprouted a hovercraft body and "floated" over a large puddle, showing it's smooth ride over rough terrain. At the bottom of the screen in tiny letters was the word, "Dramatization."

Okay, I guess I can imagine some smart aleck or backwoods hobo going into the Toyota dealership and asking for the 2007 Hovercraft SUV, and then threatening to sue because they don't have one. Then there's the Jenny Craig commercials that spout, "I lost 20 pounds in 30 days" or whatever, but below it slyly reads "Results not typical." So most people don't lose that kind of weight, they gain it like me, while eating Cheetos and watching Jenny Craig commercials.

But have you seen that Energizer commercial?? It put me over the edge. An alien spacecraft has crash-landed on earth, and I guess they've just gotta get back home before re-runs of ALF start. Along comes the Energizer Bunny, and they hook him up with some cosmic jumper cables. Well, wouldn't you know it, that non-coppertop has enough juice to not only fire up the alien spacecraft, but to keep going and going and going, thumping that stupid drum. During the jump-start scene, there are those lawyer words again, "This is only a dramatization." Nooooo, really??? You mean bunnies banging drums don't go around boosting the hyper-drive units of helpless, stranded ET's?

Like, how stupid are we supposed to be? Does Energizer think we're going to ask for something they can't provide? "Well shoot, George, I'm gonna git me one of them Toyoter UFO's that runs on them bunny batt'ries!" I long for the day when the TV viewer was smarter, and the TV executives weren't so afraid of sue-age. But maybe I'm being unrealistic and overdramatic. Umm, nope, because I've got those lawyer words below.

"This is NOT a dramatization...."

Comments:
Once again, Dairn... TOO FUNNY! I love it!

You're so right about that. Do they really think that we're that dumb or gullable?!
 
Totally agree with you on this, Dairn.
Most commercials are insulting to the intelligence of the avergae viewer.
I think that the worst commercials, the most insulting, are the ones that try to sell you something using words/images/whatever that have absolutely nothing to do with the product/service they are offering.
This is absolutely insulting. I hate it.
The people who sell things, and who produce these commercials, must think we are all mindless idiots that they can control with ease...
 
Tamara, the answer is 6.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter