Friday, February 02, 2007

 

Jones Soda Spelling Snafu...

Okay, so I have a couple friends (we'll call them Jily and Laki) who have a jones for Jones Soda, Fu-Fu Berry flavour. I like the stuff too, and if you ask them they'll blame me for causing their entry-level addictions, but I am not to blame for their soon-to-be-not-famous-at-all "Fu-Fu Berry high five." I digress.

Recently, they have been searching for the red elixor at corner stores and gas stations and haven't been able to procure any Fu-Fu Berry soda. I thought this strange, so during my trip to Surrey yesterday I decided to drop by a few places and surprise them with my innate ability to successfully forage for Fu-Fu.

At the Chevron gas station, kitty-corner to the Johnston Heights Evangelical Free Church on 152nd Street, I looked at the glass case in dismay, as their Jones Soda selection was somewhat pitiful. As I was leaving the store, the man behind the counter asked if he could help me. I told him I was looking for Fu-Fu Berry flavoured Jones Soda. He said that he would look into ordering it, and proceeded to write it down on a piece of paper. However, in his ethnicity (and me in mine, I might add), he wrote down, "Jones Soda - Fruit Berry." I kindly repeated the name, Fu-Fu Berry, and he kindly repeated, Fruit Berry, back to me.

Now, if I was thinking about ten steps ahead of the game (like a champion chess player or captain of the Enterprise, Jean Luc Picard, for example), I might not have made the mistake of trying to tell him the correct spelling... out loud... to his face.

"No, it's Fu-Fu Berry, that's f-u, f-u..." At this point, my mind just realized what I said to the poor man (f...u, f...u), and I actually reached for his little pencil he was writing with. He repeated, "fruit berry??" to me in his broken english. I replied, "umm, no. It's Fu-Fu... (by this time I'm feeling rather silly saying Fu-Fu) ... f-u... f-... ummm, never mind. Thanks anyways."

Makes you wonder if this is exactly the scenario those Jones Soda people were snickering about when they thought up the Fu-Fu Berry name....

Comments:
So, do you wear the pastor badge when you say f-u, f-u? :) Might not help crossing the barriers in our multi-cultural society. Try f-o-o-, f-o-o, and then say you aren't too sure of the spelling. :) This definately is the makings of a letter to Jones Soda! Can hardly wait to read it!
Enjoy the sunshine!
 
I'd like the record to show that my sister would rather I LIE to unsuspecting corner store owners than swear at their faces!

:-P

Have a great day, too, Beck!
 
That's hillarious!

You have me all interested in that soda. Is it just a Canadian thing? If so, too sad!
 
" Makes you wonder if this is exactly the scenario those Jones Soda people were snickering about when they thought up the Fu-Fu Berry name.... "

Um...I would say, "Yep."

Congrats, you've been Jones'd!
 
Dairn,

I used "snafu" the other day, and the person was rather shocked that i would select that word. She then asked if I had looked it up in a dictionary. I know that you and I use the adjective form, but it originated under different circumstances. Just for your enlightenment, I thought you might be interested:
sna·fu (sn-f) KEY Slang

NOUN:
pl. sna·fus
A chaotic or confused situation.
ADJECTIVE:

In a state of confusion or chaos.
TRANSITIVE VERB:
sna·fued , sna·fu·ing , sna·fus
To make confused or chaotic.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ETYMOLOGY:
s(ituation) n(ormal) a(ll) f(*****) u(p)

Just thought you might like to see the etymology. Rather amusing that you choose that title with this post. :) Hmmm, maybe there is something about you that I didn't know before.
 
Yeah, I learned about it's origin (from WWI or WWII) because my father-in-law knew what s.n.a.f.u. meant and wondered if I thought it appropriate to type into the church council minutes a few months ago. I now realize the "fubar" correlation, and thought snafu would serve as a good double entendre title for the Fu-Fu Berry post!

Stop checking up on me... it's creepy! (just kidding)
 
I just want to know what everyone has against Pastor Barry -- I mean, its one thing to not like your boss or father in law but honestly Dairn, F-U F-U Barry?

Maybe you should see someone about this.
 
dairn, that story is priceless.
 
I am not addicted.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter