Thursday, September 18, 2008

 

A Rolling Stone Gathers No...

Late in August I began to have some back pain. It was in my lower back and I figured it was just because I had been fighting with a roof-top travel "pod thingy" (that's the technical term - the original Latin is extraluggagious frustratus) on the van all the way back from the Okanagan. I didn't have a key to lock it, so every time I went over 100kph (that's 60 for you 'mericans), it would flip open and the lid would flap in the wind. Of course, other freaked out drivers would wave and honk and point, and I'd just give a knowing smile and pull over (again) to secure our empty pod thingy.

All that to say that I thought my back was sore from the stretching way up to put that sucker back in place more than a half dozen times. But, alas, it wasn't the issue. It turns out that no amount of exercise or Advil was gonna cure that lower left back pain. And one night it was particularly excruciating, so I gave in... I made an appointment to see the doctor.

He didn't touch my back. He never even looked at it. I just explained everything and he said, "Well, there's muscle, a kidney, and a urinary tract back there. I'd guess you passed a kidney stone into your bladder - that was the pain you've been experiencing." He went on to encourage me to "catch" the stone when it finally came out, because they can apparently test them to see how it was formed and such. He rambled on about how passing a kidney stone into the bladder is probably the closest a man would ever come to realizing the pain of childbirth, blah, blah.

I didn't really hear much because I was thinking about the second phase of this kidney stone experience (and the pain it might produce), and believe me, catching the thing was not high on my priority list! Needless to say, I've been looking down into urinals more than I have in the past. So far, nada, zilch, nothing.

Phew.

The kidney stone thing was painful, but if it's anything close to the size of a baby, that scream you'll be hearing from clear across the continent will be me....

Comments:
PPDP!!! I haven't checked your blog in AGES!!! I didn't know you had a stinking Kidney stone!!! CRaziness! I hope you... er... "caught" it..........
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter